Sunday, April 27, 2014

Quilters Like Authors an Analogy

It's Sunday afternoon and I am taking a well deserved rest....supper is simmering, my exchange student is doing his homework, and my house is tidy.
Very early this morning I finished reading the latest book in the Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer!  
Mr. Archers' books are not written fast enough for me, unfortunately I am one of those who cannot seem to put an Archer Novel down until it has been read from cover to cover on the day I open the cover and read the Prologue.   I am sorry I didn't make myself put it down and treat myself to this series in portions, but, I do this to myself all of the time!
Since being introduced to the Author and his particular writing style, in the mid 70's with his first novel, "Not A  Penny More, Not A Penny Less"  followed by "Kane and Abel"   I have read every book written by Mr. Archer and in truth I never seem to tire of his storytelling.    His style of writing keeps me page turning until its' ending and then as is usual for me,  I am sorry I read it so quickly.
This latest book "Be Careful What You Wish For"
finished with another of Mr. Archers' cliffhangers.  The 5th book in this series is not due to be published until 2015.  Darn, it is simply isn't fair to have to wait so long to read the next installment of the Clifton and Barrington families.
Are you an avid reader?  I read 3 books on average a week and am running out of those brilliant Authors who write in the style I so enjoy reading. I so enjoy good fiction! 

To me a quilter is like an author, dissecting the plot (pattern) and painstakingly putting it back together, piece by carefully constructed piece.  Then when it has finally been pieced together as in a Quilt Top, the characters are able to stand on their own merits as does a quilt.   I imagine it is as much an adventure for the author as it is the reader and so as it is with the quilter. 

A quilter explores which quilt block(s) to piece together, which color pallet to chose, then painstakingly assembles the quilt.  Block by block, row by row, choosing the setting of the blocks also becomes an adventure in and of itself, should it be straight rows, or should the blocks be set on point, the all important quilting motif and all the while not too certain if your going to like the end result when the top has finally been assembled.  
This is how I felt when finally I began piecing a quilt from a pattern I had discovered in a McCall's Quilting "Quick Quilts" magazine from 2000.  When first I made the Quilt from a pattern designed by Linda Augsburg Stirratt which she named as "Autumn Nights".
PICTURE FROM THE MAGAZINE
Actual Magazine Cover
My rendition of that quilt turned out to be as beautiful as the one made for the magazine, and when it was completed I was very excited and thrilled I had made the correct fabric choices for it. 

Last year I was asked to make something for another fundraiser and while trying to come up with something which I thought might generate some worthwhile funds, I dusted off this pattern and set about constructing the top. 
I confess while I was in the piecing phase I wanted to rewrite the pattern by adding something different to make it my own,  so I changed the border design, thereby making it a bit different than the one in the article.  I was not happy while it was in the construction phase, I really thought I was lacking oomph and not nearly as nice as the pictures of Ms. Stirratts' quilt.  When I finally finished it I managed to like it,  I wasn't as thrilled with this one as I was when I actually made the first one.   
While critiquing it I discovered that to my way of thinking my focal fabric (the main character) should have had more color and movement.  However, in the end, when I finally saw it hanging, I agreed I could allow myself to like it just a bit. 

This is why I like to think Quilters are in some ways similar to being Authors.  Setting the plot and planning the main characters, then adding the supporting cast and giving them a life all of their own.  Choosing color, texture and how to set it before adding the final chapter of the Borders and how it should be quilted and then the very important ending, the binding.    
I am not certain many will agree with my analogy, but, it is what it is. 

Thank you for stopping by to visit with me today, in some small measure I hope what has been written will be of some useful meaning to you. 

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.  ~Mary Engelbreit


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your opinions, your viewpoint, your thoughts, ideas and opinions are of interest to me, leaving a comment with your e-mail address will ensure that I reply to you. If you are a no mail responder, I will leave a response in this Comment Section